Although everybody is trying to go green these days, some operators are doing this in response to popular demand. It should be coming from a real desire to make a change in the area they are operating, reducing their carbon footprint and by helping the local communities.
Mukambi Safari Lodge is very proud on what we have accomplished so far.
Lonely Planet has selected Mukambi Safari Lodge as one of the few lodges in Zambia that demonstrates an active responsible tourism policy.
This is done in several areas. We will mention a few:
- Use of renewable energy: Although we offer 24 hours a day electricity to our guests, this is challenge since we are 120 kilometres from the nearest by power grid. We use solar technology with a battery bank to accomplish this. With this technology we only run a generator for 4 hours a day and are still able to offer 24/7 hours electricity. We have extensive experience with solar power. We have done this for the last 10 years and can call ourselves experts in doing so.
- Support of education: 95% of the Mukambi Staff comes from the local communities surrounding Kafue National Park. When we started operating Mukambi Safari Lodge, the majority of our staff was illiterate and there were no good option for education. We started the Mukambi community school with the aim to give our staff both adult education and to provide education for the local communities in an area where no good school exists. The results have been spectacular. We now have 4 teachers in permanent employment at the Mukambi community school, 75 children go to school and all our staff and family members have access to education. Before we got staff members with grade 9 school diplomas that were illiterate. Now all our staff members are literate and their children can read and write at an early age.
- Support of local communities: Mukambi Safari Lodge proudly supports the chieftainess of our area with farming inputs and farming tools like ploughs and oxen. Direct employment is offered to over 50 staff members on a permanent contract basis.
- Eco friendly: Mukambi uses as much as possible local farmed produce, local building materials and local contracts to stimulate development in the area.
- Conservation: Mukambi Safari Lodge is active in the conservation of Kafue National Park. Our managing director is the chairman of the Kafue Park Operator Association and work closely together with the Zambian Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) to stop the poaching and other conservation goals in Kafue National Park.